My mattress is made from foam, but I suppose similarly and with a little imagination you could modify a mattress that is made from other material too.
I chose a half round shape because that fit my living room/bedroom best but as you'll see you can do any shape you like, the sky's the limit!! :)
Step 1: Materials and tools.
- a foam mattress
- sewing thread to match the colour of the mattress
- lifting pallets for the bed to stand on (optional)
- scissors or small sharp knife
- big sharp knife
- (optional) knife sharpener (if your knife isn't sharp enough)
- sewing needle
- (optional) jigsaw (to modify the pallets)
- (optional) hammer, screwdriver or drill and wood screws (to modify the pallets)
- (optional) laptop or/and other entertainment (to keep you from getting incredibly bored through the sewing procedure)
Step 2: Preparing the matress
Using the scissors or small sharp knife remove carefully the thread that is connecting the small cotton stripe with the top and the middle part of the cover. Repeat for the thin cotton stripe that connects the middle and bottom parts of the cover. You only need to remove this at the place of the mattress you're going to modify.
Pull the fabrics away from the area you want to modify.