In this Instructable I'll show you how I made my foam mattress round from one side, and also made the support it had underneath match the mattress. I don't know how to modify a normal bed frame to match a custom mattress, my bed support comes from a construction site's lifting pallets.
My mattress is made from foam, but I suppose similarly and with a little imagination you could modify a mattress that is made from other material too.
I chose a half round shape because that fit my living room/bedroom best but as you'll see you can do any shape you like, the sky's the limit!! :)
Step 1: Materials and Tools.
I include the instructions on how to modify the lifting pallets, this is of course optional. I strongly recommend some form of entertainment (laptop with films, tv, etc) during the sewing step, it's incredibly boring otherwise. With entertainment you just spend a fun afternoon.
- a foam mattress
- sewing thread to match the colour of the mattress
- lifting pallets for the bed to stand on (optional)
- scissors or small sharp knife
- big sharp knife
- (optional) knife sharpener (if your knife isn't sharp enough)
- sewing needle
- (optional) jigsaw (to modify the pallets)
- (optional) hammer, screwdriver or drill and wood screws (to modify the pallets)
- (optional) laptop or/and other entertainment (to keep you from getting incredibly bored through the sewing procedure)