A Live USB is a USB that has a bootable OS (Operating System) on it.
This instructable will help you create one!
(Please bear in mind that this is my first instructable article. Suggestions are welcome!)
Step 1: Preparation
- A 4GB USB Drive (The OS itself is about 2.5GB, which will leave you with plenty of space for your own files)
- A fast internet connection (to download the necessary files)
- A computer that can boot a USB
- Windows XP/Vista/7 (To run the installer)
- A bit of common sense (to put it all together!)
Step 2: Backup
Back up all the data on your USB safely onto your computer, as this will erase your USB!
(Although it is possible to keep your data and have the OS installed, I do not recommend it!)
Step 3: Downloading
There are two files that you will need to download:
- The Ubuntu virtual image (.iso) file - Get it from here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download. Size: 712MB
- The USB Installer (.exe) file - Get it from here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/#button or get the older version from my attachments. Size: 981KB