Introduction: How to Make Your Own Soda!
We all know and love soda, but sometimes, soda can be bad and can deteriorate your teeth. Well, I have a healthy and tasty solution!
Step 1: Step 1: Items Needed
For this, you will need:
-Glass Jar (1 quart or half gallon)
-Wooden spoon for stirring (avoid metal)
-Towel, cheesecloth or coffee filter to cover jar
Step 2: Step 1/2: Ingredients!
Now, we can't have food without ingredients! Here's what you'll need:
Hydrated Water Kefir Grains (These can be found on amazon for about 6-10 dollars)
¼ cup sugar per quart of water. Do not use honey!! Non-chlorinated filtered water. If you just have tap water, boil it to remove chlorine and cool before using!
Got 'em? Perfect! You're ready to start your quest on making some delicious soda!
Step 3: Step 2: Instructions!
1. Dissolve the sugar in small amount of hot water
2. When sugar is dissolved, fill the rest of the jar with cool filtered water and make sure the water is not warm- it must be at room temp!
3. Add the hydrated water kefir grains
4.Cover with towel, cheesecloth, or coffee filter and rubber band to keep out insects or small children (Use the rubber band to secure the towel around the top of the jar)
5. Leave on the counter (preferably at 70-75 degrees) for 24-48 hours. The
longer you leave it, the more sugar ferments out, so if you ware limiting carbs, I recommend 48 hours. Don't leave longer than this! It can starve the grains!
6. After 48 hours, strain the water kefir grains through a bamboo or mesh
strainer (don't use metal if you can help it!) pouring the liquid into another container. I use a half gallon jar for the first process and strain into two quart size jars.
7. Restart the process by dissolving more sugar in water, adding cool water and adding Water Kefir Grains.
8. To make the Water Kefir carbonated, pour a couple ounces of fruit juice
into the strained water kefir you just strained. I've found Lemon and Lime to work the best. I don't recommend citrus for this part, as it makes stringy yeast like things that are not tasty! Once you've added the juice, cover the jars tightly with an air tight lid and leave on the counter an additional 1-3 days before drinking or refrigerating. Repeat the process!
Step 4: Step 3: Enjoy!
Hope you like your new soda! You can repeat these instructions over and over again for a great beverage for a hot, summer day! Also, this drink has GREAT probiotic purposes, It's maybe one of the tastiest medicines I've ever had.
Don't forget to favorite if you loved it!
Link to all the steps and more: http://wellnessmama.com/2261/water-kefir-soda/
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.