It is the single worst case scenario you could find yourself in at a picnic. The foolhardy man would use his teeth and then spend the next day ringing up his dentist for an appointment. However, the learned gentleman has a little trick up his sleeve which will allow him to be the saviour of the party, impress the pretty gals with his resourcefulness and will be able to revel in the appreciation of his previously parched friends as he opens chilled bottles of beer galore, with nothing more than a newspaper.
A newspaper? Well yes, nothing more than a newspaper, and this is how to do it.
- Get a newspaper (broadsheets appease the Margot Leadbetter in us all better than tabloids) and take 5 or 6 sheets.
- From the longest edge make a fold 1" from the edge and be sure to press the crease line to make the crease sharp and neat
- Keep folding inch by inch until all the newspaper is folded. You will then have a fairly thick strip of newspaper
- Fold this strip in the middle across the middle of the length making sure again to make the fold tight and neat. The fold that you make will be pretty solid from all the compressed layers of newspaper
- Hold the bottle firmly on the table and position the edge of the fold in the newspaper under the bottle cap and apply pressure to its edge in an upwards direction whilst holding the bottle as firmly as you can. The lid should fly off with a pop (you can see the action better in the video below)
One other thing… now that you have ruined your newspaper, I suggest that you read your favourite blog whilst drinking your beer -TheLearnedGentleman.com