I'm a pretty decent player, since I can pwn everyone at school and ibles on halo, but there are others who can pwn everyone (including myself) a million times, and I can only kill them with luck. If you want to play me, make sure you have halo trial, and you can find me on if a game called "for the win" is up.
This guide will cover the differences between noob and pro, the weapons and vehicles, and teach you pro tactics and skill builders. It also has a sub-guide on campaign mode.
1/3 credit goes to goeon.
another 1/3 goes to Darth gecko Man.
Need any proof that I am experienced enough to present a guide to you? Here's me playing the first level of campaign on Legendary:
Step 1: Differences between pro and noob.
the characteristics of a noob:
- relies too much on vehicles to kill people.
- forgets about his grenades
- uses fuel rod or rocket launchers
- does not have a very long survival time
- makes the most of his grenades.
- very accurate with a sniper rifle.
- can defeat vehicles with average guns
- has long survival time
- knows how to lock banashees
Step 2: The first thing you should do for beginners.
Now, to gain skill and experience, you need to play halo in campaign mode. Play it in easy the first few times, then work up. Campaign will give you some practice in private where you try to shoot down covenant aliens. Get yourself familiar with the weapons in the game (Note- not all halo weapons are found in the level).
If you think you are ready to challenge others now, move to step 2. Keep in mind that you can only truly win by adapting to your opponents which you can't practice in the campaign levels.
images by goeon
Step 3: Getting started-multiplayer mode.
Thoroughly explore each map, making notes on what weapons are where, and where the power ups are. Also note where the best place for cover is.
After you know the territory like the back of your hand, you need to find a good weapon combo. Proceed to step 3 to find your perfect combo
images by goeon
Nuclearman~ is goeons account
Step 4: Find a good weapon combo.
The second type is the ammo type- like we know right now. Each weapon has its own abilities. The pistol is powerful and has zoom. The shotgun has good spread and good power. The assault rifle has automatic capability. The sniper rifle can shoot across the map. The rocket launcher can shoot powerful rockets that are instant kills.
There is one type of gun that can be classed into both categories- the flamethrower. It shoots like a plasma gun, yet, you can pick up rounds like ammo guns. Note that this gun is short ranged, but can scorch oppodents if they are toched by the flame
This is another spot where the pro and noob are separated. Many pros use the following combos:
- shotgun and sniper
- sniper and pistol
- pistol and shotgun
- rocket launcher and fuel rod
- rocket launcher and plasma pistol
- fuel rod and plasma pistol.
- plasma pistol only.
images by goeon
Step 5: Vehicles
Below is a list of vehicles in the online maps on halo combat evolved
Blood Gulch = Ghost/Warthog/Scorpion/Banshee
Danger Canyon = Ghost/Warthog/Scorpion
Death Island = Scorpion/Warthog/Ghost/Banshee
Gephyrophobia = Ghost/Warthog/Scorpion/Banshee
Ice Fields = Ghost/Warthog/Scorpion
Infinity = Ghost/Warthog/Scorpion/Banshee
Sidewinder = Warthog/Scorpion/Ghost
Timberland = Ghost/Warthog/Scorpion
The M12 light reconnaissance vehicle, or Warthog, is the standard vehicle of the UEG armed forces. It is fast and manuverable, but prone to rollovers during hard cornering. A three-barreled machine-gun is mounted in the rear of the vehicle. Armed passengers significantly increase the unit's anti-infantry capacity.
M808B Scorpion MBT
The Scorpion Main Battle Tank is primarily an anti-vehicle weapons platform, but it also has very high anti-infantry capabilities. Its ceramic-titanium armor makes it nearly invulnerable to small arms fire, but its deep dead-zone, or the area within which fire from the tank's guns cannot hit targets, puts it at rick from enemy anti-tank infantry. Up to four soldiers may ride on (and fire from) the Scorpion's track pods. Riding on a tank is always hazardous and should be done only when the advantages outweigh the risks
The Ghost is the Covenant's standard reconnaissance and rapid attack vehicle. It is equipped with two of what are now accepted as the standard light vehicle mounted weapons: a directed energy weapon capable of projecting a bolt of super-heated plasma in the 100-250kW range. While the vehicle is fast and manuverable, the driver is virtually unprotected.
The Banshee is the Covenant's standard ground assault aircraft. It is very fast, extremely manuverable and capable of hovering. It has two weapon pods mounted to either side of the fuselage. Both of these pods contain a light plasma cannon and a ruel rod cannon. Though small arms fire may disrupt of disable the pilot,
Use this one too many times and your a noob - DGM
Dude, I can defeat a banashee with a shotgun. -DJ radio
Step 6: Halo tactics
these situations will be covered with the tactics:
- when you are attacked by a banashee
- when you are attacked by a moving warthog
- when someone is in the back turret of the warthog
- when someone is sniping you.
- when you want to snipe
- if someone has a flamethrower
- acceptable weapons to fight a banashee include:
- rocket launcher
- fuel rod
- Plasma Grenades
- full auto turret on the back of the warthog (not recommended due to the powerful fuel rod on the banashee)
- try to dodge the banashee's plasma fire
- if he tries to run you down, move to the side as fast as possible
- shoot the banashee with the shotgun as much as you can.
- Plasma grenades are a must if the banshee is closing in on you, only through plasma grenades if the banshee is close enough
If you are attacked by a moving warthog:
- do what you do when you fight the banashee
- when I snipe, if someone drives up to my position with a warthog, I somehow shoot the driver with one shot from the sniper. This is a lucky shot, and by no means should you try this yourself.
-If the warthog has a gunner on it, aim for the gunner first, then the driver
If you are attacked by a stationary warthog turret:
- make sure you have either a sniper or grenades.
- if you are far enough from the turret that the accuracy is too low for him to hit you, aim for the head with the sniper rifle. If the player is facing you, aim for the head between the turret shield.
- If you are close enough to be shot down, hide behind some cover, and throw a grenade. If it doesnt kill the man, it will eject him from the car.
- if the target is shooting someone, you can also run up to him and shoot him at a deep-point range. The target will not be able to aim at a player right next to him. However, this is risky, as the player could kill your distraction opponent and get you before you get to him.
If someone is sniping you:
- if he has hit you already, do not snipe back, since you run the risk of death with another hit shot.
- if he has not hit you, move around a bit, and snipe him back.
- if you did get hit already, get as close to the target as you can. Be aware that if he is sniping off a cliff, he may have plasma grenades.
Note- do not try to shoot someone in a moving vehicle with a sniper. Even though you may hit them, it will do considerably less damage and all it will do is give away your position for an attack.
(not always if the map is modded and the sniper shoots plasma grenades than snipe all you want) -goeon
we are talking about normal gameplay, we assume that the room is not modded.
images by goeon
EDIT- I have recently heard of a combo normally used in the campaign against elites and Jackals, but people use it in multiplayer too. This combo involves using an overcharged plasma pistol shot on the enemy to knock his shields out, then switching to a different weapon and shooting his health out. This is normally referred to as the "Noob combo".
The only flaw I find with this combo is that the overcharged plasma pistol is not very accurate at mid range, and thus you can't use this combo against me, if you do, you will die.
Step 7: Basic skill builders
No, that sometimes isnt true, because some hardcore halo'ers join noob games to pwn people (like me)
make a lan game and explore or play the trial game
images by goeon