I made this bike modification with few tools, materials. You just need to think about what you doing and what you want to achieve.
you will need:
- a bike (any will do, but the simpler is best ie. no rear shocks and stuff because it just complicates things, although still possible)
- a motor of some kind, preferably small but with a fair bit of power, a clutch is nice because you can ride it normally without the motor on, although still possible without. and if it has mounting holes or something that will make it easy to strap on your bike. I used a small 2 stroke whipper snipper motor made by kawasaki, bit gutless as I'm 85kgs but I had a bigger carburettor on it before when I was mucking around with it.
- a bit of thick plate to use as the mounting plate/bracket. thick stuff is good because it hold your motor nice a steady.
- a roller/driver shaft to run on the back wheel to transfer power to the wheel. size is important as it affects gearing and therefore final speed. I did the math and figured out it needed to be bout an 25mm - 40mm in diameter to get around 40-50kmh
- miscellaneous, tooling, ie screwdrivers, spanners, persuasion tools (big hammer and shifting spanner)
- an oxy-acetalyne set is nice to bend your plate if it needs it