Introduction: How to Remove Rust From Axe Head
I bought this axe head for 10$ from a vulgar local market that opens every saturday in my location, this market sells all stuff you can imagine, most of it is junk and used stuff.
when you buy an axe examine carefully the head, the shape should be pleasant and workable, the most important part is the sharp edge of the axe, an edge with missing (or eaten) metal by rust is junk and time wasting, you should also examine the rest of the axe body, poll, cheek, if the damage is severe don't mind it and move to another one.
Step 1: Soaking in White Vinegar
White vinegar has Acetic acid which remove rust completly :
- put the axe in a plastic box that has an enough height to submerge the head with acid
- pour white vinegar slowly, and make sure to cover the WHOLE axe, place the box in a safe place, soak it for a day and a half. after few hours of soaking you will notice rust bits removed and sitting on the box floor
- after the period has passed, rust will be easily removed, use a steel brush or a steel sponge to rub off all the rust on the axe, take care to also rub in the eye of the axe, where the handle will fit in.
- vinegar has a very strong scent so wear medical gloves and if you can, do the process outdoors.
- wash the axe thoroughly with hot water to remove the vinegar and its scent,
- clean the axe and dry it in a towel or something, it is moisture that encourages rusting so be sure to dry all surfaces including the eye
Step 2: Complete!
To see how i turned this into a full WARAXE, watch this :
B22RAW made it!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.