Unfortunately I have to start by saying that this information is provided for education purposes only, and that I, nor anyone I am affiliated with is responsible in any way for any injuries, or damage as a result of anyone attempting these repairs for any reason.

The diaphragm is responsible for cutting off the fuel supply when the water supply is shut off. If it malfunctions it can fill your house with explosive gas with lethal results. You must have a good working knowledge of Oring and compressions sealing techniques. 

That said,

I was given a small Chinese water heater made by a company that has a difficult time providing parts for it. I am a self reliant person and feel that many people are finding repairing their own devices increasingly difficult.

My water heater has frozen several times, and I have had to repair the diaphragm cover by resoldering the pieces several times.

In my heater, a thin rubber diaphragm is pushed by a plunger that is activated by water flow, into a small metal rod that opens up a gas port, and activates a micro switch that activates the microcontroller and high voltage output.

It sounds complicated friends, but rest assured, it really is not.

The good thing is that virtually every part on this heater can be fabricated or repaired. There is no need to trash your heater if it freezes and cracks.

So here we go.

If you are willing to make two small holes in the vent on the right hand of the heater you can use a long phillips screwdriver to access the two deep screws to remove the diaphragm cover without having to remove the entire assembly.

There are two small brass tubes that are attached to the diaphragm, be careful not to lose these. The heater will not work without them.

Firstly, I took a screw with a large head and cut the threaded part off, flush with the bottom of the head of the screw. 

I used a micrometer to measure the diameter of the plunger shaft that contacts the diaphragm. Then, I used a Dremel tool to round out the screw as such:

Step 1: Check for fit

Check to make sure the screw head fits snugly on the shaft. If it is a little loose, secure it with RTV silicone, but make sure it won't just drop off. Mine was a good interference fit. It is a good idea not to solder it onto the shaft, because the heat will damage the Oring used to seal the diaphragm hosing. 

Next, I measured the diameter of the small metal rod that is pushed, because my diaphragm had a hole in it from pushing on it (The metal rod has quite a bit of resistance).

Then, I used my Dremel tool to make a round hole in the slotted portion of the screw head.

Then, I cut the metal rod down enough to accommodate for the patches I put on the diphragm, and also the thickness of the screw head. However be careful, if you take too much off, you are going to be in trouble.

While I was cutting the rod short, I kept dousing it with water to keep it cool. This is because it is near an O-ring, that I have had to replace because it was worn out. It was easy to replace but I would rather not do it again.

I didn't bother tapering the end of the rod, because I wanted the fit on the screw head to be somewhat tight. In hindsight, it would have been prudent to use a small amount of RTV silicone between the rod and the screw head, to hold it in place. But it is OK.

Finally, I mated the screw head to the metal rod. It was a good fit. Digital calipers are extremely handy for this.  

About This Instructable


4 favorites


Bio: I have bonded with a 100% Canadian Tundra wolf. I am 6'1" and when he stands on his back legs, he can put his ... More »
More by tundrawolf: How to disassemble and clean a starter motor for a Toyota 22R engine Micrometer cleaning and lubrication How to repair and make reliable the diaphragm in a Chinese tankless water heater
Add instructable to: