This set of instructions will enable you to "root" your Verizon Wireless Samsung Fascinate phone and install Froyo (Android 2.2). Rooting your phone will allow you install and use third party software which you cannot use with the phones factory installed ROM. Rooting your phone will allow you to unlock your phones full potential. An example being, you can use your phone as a free 3G mobile hotspot. This process will require familiarity with your Samsung Fascinate phone and its functions. A basic computer knowledge and file management skills will also be needed to complete the process. The average person should be able to complete the rooting process in about 45 minutes.
Step 1: Gather Materials Needed
- Verizon Wireless Samsung Fascinate
- Micro USB to USB data cable
- Computer with internet connection
Step 2: Download Necessary Files
Caution:This rooting process should only be done to a Verizon Wireless Samsung Fascinate phone. Attempting to root another phone using this procedure could cause permanent damage to your phone. I would strongly recommend you read through the instructions before attempting to make sure you are comfortable with the process.
1) Utilizing the following links download the necessary files onto your PC which will be used in the rooting process
• Odin- http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J4Y10P6G
• Update.zip- http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OLKZRCE9
• EB01 Froyo Rom- http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7EA52CXF
Note- Files can be downloaded to any convenient location. I recommend you create a folder on your desktop and download the files into this folder. Files will be in a compressed format when downloaded, files must be uncompressed before use.
2) Backup all of your contacts, pictures, and files you wish to keep.
Note- All your files and applications on your phone will be lost during the rooting process
3) Place the "Update.zip" file in the root directory of your sd card.
Note- The root directory is the main directory of your sd card.
Step 3: Open Odin Software
Caution:The only two buttons you will use in the software are the "Start button" and "PDA button".
Step 4: Install ROM
1) Place your phone into download mode by following the steps below
A. Shut down your phone
B. Remove the battery
C. While holding the "volume down button" plug your phone into your computer using the USB cable
D. When you see the a large yellow triangle release the "volume down button"
2) Press the "PDA button" in the Odin software
3) Select the "EB01_DXC.tar" file which you downloaded and saved to your computer.
4) Press the "Start Button" in the Odin software
Note- when the process is complete the phone will power down
5) Unplug the USB cable when the phone powers down
6) Replace the phones battery
Step 5: Boot Into Recovery Mode
2) While holding the "volume up button" and "volume down button" press and hold the "power button"
3) When the Samsung logo appears on the screen, release the "power button", continuing to hold the "volume buttons"
4) When the "stock recovery menu" appears, release the "volume buttons"
5) Using the "volume buttons", highlight "apply sdcard:update.zip"
6) Select by pressing the "home button"
Note- your phone will automatically boot into clockworkmod recovery mode
Step 6: Wipe Data
1) Using the "volume buttons", highlight "wipe data/factory reset"
2) Select using the "power button"
3) Highlight "Yes -- delete all user data" and select.
Note- Phone will delete data and return you to the clockworkmod recovery main menu.
4) Highlight "wipe cache partition" and select.
5) Highlight "Yes - Wipe Cache" and select.
Note- Phone will wipe Cache and return you to the clockworkmod recovery main menu.
6) Highlight "advanced" and select.
Note- You are now in the advanced menu
7) Highlight "Wipe Dalvik Cache" and select.
8) Highlight "Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache" and select.
Note- Phone will wipe Dalvik and return you to the "advanced" menu.
9) Return to the clockworkmod recovery menu by pressing the menu key.
Step 7: Nandroid Backup
2) Select using the "power button"
3) Highlight "backup/restore" and select.
4) Highlight "backup" and select
Note- this will take a few minutes, when completed you will be taken back to the clockworkmod recovery menu.
5) Highlight "reboot system now" and select.
6) Your phone will reboot.
Note- The phone may take up to 15 minutes to boot back up.
Your Samsung Fascinate is now rooted and running Froyo ROM. Enjoy the freedom to use applications which require a rooted phone.