This Instructable will talk about how to pick out a good location for your mushroom patch and what are the necessary steps needed to start it. This mushroom kit is easy to start and anyone can do it!
Step 1: Materials
- 12 gallons to a truckload of woodchips (we used about 4 wheelbarrows)
- One Garden Giant Mushroom Patch Kit
- Purchasable from http://www.fungi.com/kits/outdoor.html
- Access to an abundance of water - you must water your patch for 10 minutes after you're done preparing it
- A metal rake to spread the woodchips
- A shovel to scoop the woodchips
Step 2: Picking out a spot
1.) Not exposed to direct sunlight
2.) Not windy
3.) Naturally humid
4.) Has a ready access to water
5.) Has an abundant supply of non-aromatic, diciduous and/ or conifer chips
6.) Is frequently visited - So you don't forget about it!
We picked out a place that was secluded, shady, and very moist.
Step 3: Clearing and preparing your bed
Then, go ahead and dump a 1-2 inch layer of moistened wood chips on your bed.
Step 4: Adding the inoculated woodchips
Then, cover the inoculated woodchips with another 1-2 inch layer of moistened woodchips and mix the three layers vigorously.