Introduction: How to Touch Up a Deep Paint Scratch in Your Car.
Here's how to get the best possible do-it-yourself result and perhaps avoid paying a body shop $1000s to fix minor paint damage.
What you'll need:
1. A small bottle of paint that matches your car.
2. A fine-tipped touch up brush (hobbyist stores have these).
3. 3M Glazing & Spot putty (from most automotive stores).
4. Paper towels or a rag.
5. Excess paint and putty remover.
6. Squeegee for spreading putty (credit card will work too).
Materials costs: about $40.
Step 1: Apply Putty
Spread a dab of putty into the scratch with a squeegee or credit card.
Step 2: Remove Putty
Wet a paper towel or rag with excess paint remover. With gentle pressure, wipe over the red putty to remove excess. Stop when the scratch is full with red putty.
Step 3: Apply Paint
Clean the repair area, then apply paint. "Connect the dots" from left to right, keeping a steady hand to avoid creating ugly brush strokes.
Step 4: Done!
Paint is dry in 5 minutes. You can wash or wax your car if you like.
Should you make a mistake, the putty or paint can be removed with nail polish remover and you can try again.
Expect BETTER results on dark colors than light colors.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.