Here are the steps I take every year to start it up again.
Step 1: Converting the well room into a grow room
The room is 4 by 8.
Step 2: Cleaning and sterilizing the planters
Step 3: Cleaning and sterilizing the grow room
The second picture is of the audience I had while setting up the grow room. ;)
Step 4: Setting up the grow room
Next, I place my planters on the shelfs.
I Also placed a lime tree and a tropical plant in the grow room. I added new soil to both of the plants to give them added nutrients.
Then, I place my circulating fan in the corner and plug in both fans. The out take fan runs outside like a dryer vent.
I also place a thermometer in the grow room, that measures humidity and temperature.
And last I place a humidifier in the room to add moisture.
Step 5: Selecting what plants to grow
Step 6: Materials you will need to start the plants.
1. & 2. The first two pictures show my seeds in the container that I keep it in. The containers airtight, Sun resistant, and waterproof.
3. The third picture is of 5 gallon grow bags. Usually in the eary spring I will buy fruit trees off of eBay and start them in the grow room until they are ready to be planted outside.
4. soil- I use a mixture of organic soil, bat droppings, & a regular bag of soil.
5. Picture 5 shows the containers I use to start my plants.
6. Picture 6 shows the grow light that I use. I run the light 12 hours on and 12 hours off using a timer. Replace the bulb every year. The light bulb is the most expensive part of the grow room.
7. In this picture it shows the white circulating fan that I use to push air around the grow room and plants.
8. Picture 8 shows clear wrap- In the beginning I cover my plants with clear wrap to promote moisture.
9. Picture 9 shows A Thermometer to gauge heat and humidity. Like to keep the grow room above 72.
10. Picture 10 shows, wooden sticks and a Sharpie to label my planners.
11. Picture 11 shows, I Use these larger round planters for my tomatoes.
Not pictured...I also use a humidifier and a spray bottle. The humidifier is used to add moisture and gives grow room a typical feel. I use the spray bottle to spray a mist in the room and on the plants.
Step 7: Planting
1. I fill the planters with dirt
2. I use a sharpie or my finger to poke a hole in the dirt.
3. Next i place my seed in the hole and cover it with dirt.
4. I place the planter on the shelf.
I Also added more organic fertilizer to my lime tree and tropical plant to promote growth.
Step 8: Finishing steps
First, I water all my plants.
Next, I check to make sure that they all are getting light.
Last, I cover my plants with clear wrap to promote moisture. Once my plants start to sprout, I will remove the clear wrap.
Step 9: Grow Room maintenance
Most plants will sprout in 2 to 3 weeks. (I will add to this instructables once they start to sprout.)
Step 10: Updated
1. Lettuce spinach and white cabbage are sprouting.!!!
2. latest pictures 2/6/14