Step 1: Get Parts
- 1x ne/se 555 timer IC chip.
- 1x solderless breadboard
- 1x source of 8 or more volts (i had 18)
- 1x 5V voltage regulator (if you dont have one you can use a 6v lantern battery.
- 2x 0.5k resistor (you can use anything from 0.5 to 1.5)
- 2x resistor (i used 2 and 5k, it would be better to use higher values)
- 2x 47 Uf electrolitic capacitors. (these can vary)
- 1x flasher led (red)
- 1x power led(green)
- 1x 300 uf electrolitic capacitor (value can go lower, this just prevents spikes)
- 1x switch
Step 2: Make power supply
insert your 5v regulator in the mannar shown below. this is the setup for the regulator:
you read the pins from left to right on the front of the regulator
attach the wires in the picture. 18 volts positive goes to pin 1. ground goes to pin 2, and the 5v out goes to pin 3.
you can add an led and switch if you want. it makes it easier to debug not working circuits.
if you add an led you can test your circuit and regulator now
Step 3: Power your chip
now. its on the board you need to connect the power to your chip.
here are the pins functions:
5 control Voltage
the pins are labled 1-8 starting at the dot then going around the chip
so hook up +5v to pin 8