Step 1: When welding, first learn how to weld.
Before we could put the barbecue together, we needed the skills and equipment to be able to do so.
Steveastrouk put together a nice TIG welding kit, along with masks and gloves, some lumps of scrap and a huge cast-iron bench to work at.
- Take it steady.
- TIG welding gives you sun burn.
- Make sure you have a good ground.
- Keep the Amps as low as you can.
- Moving the tip further from the work-piece increases the temperature.
- Don't let the working end of the welding rod touch the welding tip while the far end is touching "ground". The current earths through the rod and makes it very hot far too quickly to let go.