I've seen a number of tutorials about how to build the platform for a 3-axis CNC milling machine. I have not seen anyone tackle the tricky subject of the electronics.
Here now is my attempt to do so.
Step 1: Parts
- an arduino. I chose duemilanova. (depends on the board you get)
- 3 stepper motors. I chose NEMA 17s . ($15/ea)
- 3 EasyDrivers from Sparkfun . ($15/ea)
- some Cat5 ($2?)
- a 12V power supply for the steppers ($5?)
- a soldering iron
- some electrical tape
- an optional female plug is not a bad idea (<$1)
TIP: Don't get a 6ft or 10ft Cat5 cable. Buy your cat5 by the foot from any computer or electronics store. That stuff has one wire inside instead of lots of little fibers. Little fibers are a huge pain to work with.