Introduction: Humane Mouse Trap. I Made This at TechShop
Some will ask "Another mouse trap invention?! Don't we have enough of this?" The difference of this mouse trap is that it is a humane mouse trap. It simply capture the mouse.
* To demonstrate how to make concept idea become reality.
* To demonstrate easy to learn software and equipment at TechShop.
* To design and build inexpensive mouse trap that is humane.
* To make a design that rely mostly of scrap acrylic materials.
* No spring snapping action.
* See thru panel.
* Made from scrap acrylic materials only.
* Easy to assemble. No screw driver needed.
I hope you would like my Humane Mouse Trap.
The raised trap door could be released by tripping of a string to release a pin holding it.
In the picture, I wrap a string around a napkin paper. The mouse have to climb around the napkin to reach the bait. In effect, it would pull the trip wire.
If you have enough knowledge in electronics, you could make one of this and use IR sensor to detect mouse presence.
* Use minimum thickness of 1/4" Acrylic for stability.
* Use ample tolerance for easy fit. If exact dimensions are used, it would be overconstrained and it could be hard to fit.
* When using scrap materials, allow possibility of slight variation in actual thickness.
* When using Corel Draw to pick the object for editing, be careful not to accidentally move the object.
* Always use Dimension to label all critical distances.
* Do not play with the captured wild mouse. They are not like the tamed white mouse. They have very sharp teeth and they might have rabbies. Matured adult supervision required.
Recently, I had an opportunity to do show and tell to kids at Summer Camp Invention 2013 at Washtenaw Community College. I made a cardboard version of the mouse trap. I like to emphasize ways to the kids the various ways to make prototype models. One could start from making sketches to illustrate their ideas, fold papers to shapes to represent their design, people trained to use the laser printer and 3d printer could do more.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.