Introduction: Hummus: Quick, Easy, and Delicious!
Here's how to make hummus, the ultimate delicious and healthy Mediterranean snack.
Step 1: The Ingredients
First you need a food processor.
While you're at the grocery store pick up the following things:
15 oz. can of garbanzo beans, otherwise known as chickpeas
6 oz. cup of plain Greek yogurt
jar of Tahini, often located in the Mediterranean food section, or near salad dressing
1 good sized clove of garlic, or 2 small ones
cumin, chili pepper, chipotle pepper, and/or any other delicious spices
roasted red peppers
Step 2: The Garlic
• Cut garlic clove/s into quarters, toss into the food processor to chop 'em up.
Step 3: The Chickpeas, the Tahini, the Yogurt
• Open a can of chickpeas, drain, and toss into the food processor
• Measure about a 1/4 cup of Tahini and pour into the mix
• Spoon about half of the container of Greek yogurt into the mix
[Note- yogurt can be left out for a vegan-friendly dip!]
Step 4: The Lemon
• Squeeze half a lemon, 1/8 to 1/4 cup of juice, and add it to the food processor.
Step 5: Blend It
• Blend it, blend it good.
• Taste it to adjust - too lumpy? Add more yogurt (or put an avocado in it). Too bitter? More beans. Too bland? Check out the next step.
Step 6: The Extra Flavors
• Here is where you would add some extra stuff [I would recommend a few, not all!] :
a few pinches of delicious spices/herbs (cumin, chili pepper, chipotle pepper, cilantro, etc)
a tablespoon of capers
a small handful of pitted olives
a few roasted red pepper strips
half of an avocado
1/4 cup black beans
a small handful of pine nuts
a couple sun-dried of tomatoes
Step 7: Serve and Eat It
• Serve with pita, pita chips, veggies, or naan bread. Toast pitas/bread for extra goodness. It can also be spread on sandwiches for a great mayo alternative.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.