You only need very basic stuff, as you can see in the picture:
- A large pot
- something to mash potatoes with, a fork works as well
- salt & pepper
- potatoes (the kind that falls apart easily when cooked, I used 1 kilo but you could use more if you want to)
- onions and carrots: b/c hutspot is eaten a lot over here there are the handy prepared boxes. For anyone not living in Holland: if you buy just a small bag of small carrots (maybe use about 3/4ths) and about 5 white onions (just small or average, use 4 if your onions are really big), that will be enough. What you're going for is to have a little bit more carrots than onions, and about the same volume in carrots+onions as potatoes.
- milk or butter: You need something to make the mashed potatoes nice and smooth, I like to use milk but butter works just as well.
- a potato peeler and a knife to cut potatoes with
- diced bacon (I've used a 250 grams package) + a small frying pan and some oil/butter
- smoked sausage
Although these are optional, it is a lot nicer if you choose one or use both.
I ate about half of this in one go, so I would say it's a recipe for 2 people.
The nice thing about this recipe is that nothing is critical, there's not really anything you can get wrong, as long as you keep the volume of the potatoes about the same as the volume of the vegetables you can use as much as you like.