The idea behind this design was to make a burner plate which could be placed right on top of a soda can. If the can was damaged you could replace it by just taking a can opener to a new empty soda can. This reservoir is 8 ounces. Smaller than your standard 12 ounce can.
I found out the can was too big to heat the denatured alcohol to keep the flame lit on the burner. Once the fuel in the priming plate went out so did the flame. On top of that it would burn too hot and the flame would come out more than a foot. My solution was to heat the sides of the can with a flame which wicks up fuel. The resulting flame is just hot enough to emit a reasonable flame from the burner plate.
I don't know how long it would take to prime with just the flames on the sides. I helped it along with my torch after about 1 minute. My suggestion is not to make this from titanium. It it very difficult to work with.
Step 1: Cutting titanium
First thing I did was use the can as a template to mark a circle about 2" on the titanium plate. Then I drilled out holes all the way around and broke it off in a vise.
Step 2: Finding the center of a circle
Before mounting the plate into my lathe I had to find the center. To do this I cut a paper circle and folded it in half twice. Then I used a center punch to mark where the folds crossed. I drilled a hole and mounted it in with a nut and bolt. This was by far the most time consuming part. After machining titanium, machining steel felt like cutting butter.
Step 3: Drill out the burner plate
Using AutoCad I arranged 36 holes in the in a pattern. I printed the design out, taped it to the disc, and used a center punch to mark it out. Next I used a 1/16" drill bit for all the holes.