- wood veneer or other thin stock material (get it at Woodcraft or on line, or wherever. Southern Lumber has a small sample kit -- not very good but it'll do in a pinch)
- contact cement, spray adhesive, or other glue to laminate 2 sheets of veneer together
- 4 jump-rings per pair of earrings
- 2 earring loops per pair of earrings
- Laser Cutter (I used the Epilog Helix at TechShop)
- Pliers for opening/closing the jump rings.
Step 1: Get the artwork, trace it with CorelDraw
The attached .cdr file has this design in it, pretty much ready to laser.
There are several steps to this illustrated in the photos. I'll just briefly go over them:
- Import the photo to CorelDraw
- Trace the bitmap
- remove all the colors, leave only outlines
- Add a speech bubble around the text
- create a harline outline all around where you want it to cut out.
- Create a hole for the jump ring attach point.
For this design, you can simply download the attached .CDR file.