Introduction: I Made It at TechShop - Sandblasting Chevy Pickup Wheels
I never would have been able to do this without TechShop.... I took the sandblasting and powder coating class and look at what I was able to do.
Step 1: Step 1 - Go to the Sandblaster
I tried to take pictures inside the sandblaster but none of them came out. Some tips:
- Turn on the fan
- Turn on the vibrator to get the sand to the bottom
- Turn on the light inside the blaster
- Turn OFF the lights in the room.
Here are pictures of the front and back before and after. I did five (5) of these wheels in about 2 hours time. The first 25 minutes was wasted because there was somebody using grinding wheel behind me and since he was in the room first; I did not want to ask him if I could turn off the lights. With the lights on in the room I could not see a thing and so I did not know if I was blasting with sand or if the hose was clogged and I was blowing air...
Once I got the lights out; I started moving pretty good.
To powder coat I would have needed to get these even cleaner but I think I can finish them up with a wire wheel, prime and paint.
I tell you this was hard work....
Some things I would do differently:
- The sand blaster is too low; it needs to be higher up so you don't have to lean over to use it
- The lights inside the blaster are not bright enough. They could be 3 times as bright and that probably still would not be enough
- The blaster clogged easily
Anyway; Tech shop is still a great place and I never could have done this without them.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.