Introduction: IKEA Hack - Mounting KALLAX on the Wall
Our Laundry upgrade project is finally finished. Upgrades includes:
- Installing IKEA's ALGOT system (not hacked)
- Making a mounting rail using IVAR Side unite (Hacked!)
- Wall-mounting a KALLAX shelving unit 2x4 (Hacked!)
Step 1: Step 1: IVAR Side Unit Hacking
IKEA Hack #1 - Found this IVAR system's side leg part in As-Is section for $15. Compared to pine wood sold at Bunnings, it was a bargain.
- Using a flush cut saw, separated all beams and legs to individual parts
- Cut to the length of KALLAX.
- Made recesses with chisels to let them fit to KALLAX's side parts.
Step 2: Step 2: Painting Hacked IVAR Side Unit
- Simple painting horses were made with scrap wood pieces and some old pallet nails
- Prepared paint that was used to paint the wall of the house
- Painted the IVAR parts using a mini roller
Step 3: Step 3: Hacking KALLAX Shelving Unit
While waiting for the paint to dry, KALLAX was prepared to be mounted to the wall.
- Mounting holes were pre-drilled with a counter-sink bit.
- Plastic part was melted, so used a knife to trim it off.
- Tapped plastic screw sleeves into all holes so that it expands inside the material of KALLAX walls.
- One of the holes became too big, so I poured some hot-glue into the hole and quickly hammered in a bigger sized screw sleeve.
- It worked well and the sleeve did not spin around like used to do when a screw was being driven.
Step 4: Step 4:
- Once the paint dried, a stud finder was used to find where the screws should be used.
- Drilled pilot holes using a long bit. Wood chips were observed (phew!)
- Bottom rail that KALLAX sits on was mounted on the wall first (used 100 mm x 8-10G pine wood screws).
- Top rail was mounted on KALLAX instead.
Step 5: Step 5: Putting Them All Together
- Used some wood spacers (temporary stands) to support KALLAX with its top rail already attached, KALLAX was now fixed to the wall. 8 x 100 mm screws were used to the wall and 8 x 75 mm screws were used between KALLAX and IVAR wood pieces.
- Populated all the cubes with items that used to occupy spaces next to the sink
- Clean up the mess and it's all done!
KALLAX ended up a bit higher than the existing cupboard, but still, it was the cheapest option after looking at different types of shelves that are available on the market.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.