Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches? Yes, please!
Make your own flavor combinations with this easy Ice Cream Sandwich recipe! I like ice cream sandwiches any time of the year, but I find the basic chocolate cake / vanilla center a bit tired. I do enjoy the strangely green mint sandwiches, but why limit myself? Make a dairy-free version, or use frozen yogurt instead. Why not make vanilla cake with that awesome lemon cookie ice cream that place down at the corner makes? (hmm. . . that's a good idea. I'll be right back. . .)
Step 1: Ingredients
Ok, I'm back! Here's a basic recipe for your chocolate ice cream sandwich cake. Fill it with whatever your heart desires. I'll keep working on the vanilla cake (same recipe, minus the cocoa), and let you know how it goes!
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (2 pints) (950 ml) Ice Cream (Homemade or Store Bought), slightly softened - see what happens in step 6 if you let it get too melty!!
- 10 x 15 inch (25 x 38 cm) rimmed baking sheet
- Parchment paper