The idea of this project was to make ambient lighting to our Ikea Cupboard as the glass of the lids were showing the reflecting image of the room instead of the materials in that has sentimental value.
The led products sold in Ikea for this unit were a bit expensive and they were apparent (you directly see the light source which is inelegant) so I decided to do it by myself.
According to the picture tags this project was finished on 17th February 2013. I've added some fresh pictures for you in order to depict the project details.
Step 1: Prepare the Materials and Make a Feasibility
Here are the tools you will need:
- min 2.5 meters of Led Stripe (Dimensions may vary according to model)
- 90cm x 2
- 25cm x 2
- 20 cm
- Suitable adaptor for leds
- Suitable cables (I used the leftovers at home as the voltage needed is very low)
- Soldering Set
- Plastic Tape
- Remote Controled Power Outlet (If you want to connect a remote controler)
- Dimmer (I suggest you to add one to the circuit because you can control the brightness)
- Plastic Connectors for leds (They are very cheap and soldering process is easier with them. If you are a newbie at soldering I advise you to start with these.)
You should plan where you will drill the holes for the cable harness, where you will get power for the circuit etc.
Using wires with different colors will help you to determine the positive and negative polarity.
I have connected all the cables coming from different lids at a single point. That gave me the chance to check each lid individually. But it is totally up to you.
Before we proceed I have to remind you: Do not stick the led stripes (like I did) before soldering the wires.
The reason is: It is very hard to make soldering on a vertical surface. :)
Step 2: Cut the Led Stripes According to Your Cupboard Lid Dimensions and Make the Soldering
You can either solder the cables directly on the led stripes or buy the easy connectors. In order to prevent damaging the led stripe I advise you to use connectors.
Step 3: Stick the Led Stripes and Connect the Wires
Before sticking the stripes check if the soldered area hit the shelf. If so change the position of the stripe up or down a bit.
While connecting the wires make sure you have checked the polarity. Otherwise you may damage the led.
It is a good idea to fasten the cables with the plastic tape where necessary.
Step 4: Final Check
If nothing goes wrong you now have a perfectly illuminated cupboard / bookshelf.
Enjoy the astonishing view :)