1 Tertial (Ikea swing arm desk lamp) ~10 euro's
1 iPad holder (cheap chinese one) ~10 euro's
4 extra springs (e.g. from another Tertial) (optional)
2 small screws
1 nail (optional)
Step 1: Disassemble the Tertial lamp socket
- Unscrew the lamp head from the arm
- Loosen the screw keeping the lamp wire fixed to the lamp head
- Remove the lamp socket. It is held to the lamp head with 2 plastic clamps. The best way to get it loose is to use your thumb to push the socket against the side of the lamp head, causing the clamp on the opposite to be slightly opened. Pry a small screwdriver in between to completely open the clamp. Pull out the socket, cause the other clamp to let loose.
Step 2: Disassemble the wiring
- Remove the wires to the socket, they are clamped.
- Remove the wire altogether by pulling it through the swing arm.
- Don't throw the lamp head and wires away! You could use them to make a hang lamp.
Step 3: Attach iPad holder
- Screw the iPad holder to the arm using some small screws. Be sure to attach it to the center of the iPad holder, else the iPad will not be balanced and will rotate.
Note that the iPad holder I have is adjustable in size and had a little lever for adjustment. The lever was unnecessary and in the way so I cut it away.