Every so often a light box comes in handy and it always seems to be at the worst possible time when you need one. Here is my solution for one of those “I need it now” times.
My wife is a knitwear designer. One night, around 11pm, I asked her how her proposal was coming, she looked frustrated. She said she was tired and could not draw the person for her design concept. She asked if I had a light table. I thought for a moment and said yes. Give me 5 mins to find it. She had a look of amazement and unbelief. I walked off and this is what I came back with…
The intent of this instructable is to
1) provide a quick solution for your need of a light box,
2) encourage you to engage in a Do It Yourself franchise and community.
Step 1: Materials
2) Storm Window and
3) Portable Work Light.
Easy. Follow these instructions to make your own Impromptu Light Box.
Step 2: Procedure
2) Put the Work Light inside the Milk Crate and run the electrical cord through the hand slot.
3) Plug in the electrical cord and turn on the Work Light.
4) Place the Storm Window over the top of the Milk Crate.
5) Put the art on your Impromptu Light Box and trace, draw or view.
Step 3: Observations & Summary
1) The Impromptu Light Box did not become hot because the air flows through the holes in the sides of the crate.
2) The light through the art was bright enough even in a well lit room.
She submitted the concept design to the magazine and she received the contract. I think she has only used the light box the one time, but she keeps the materials in her studio for the next time. I am satisfied with the results.
I have used this Impromptu Light Box since writing this instructable. Check out Reusable Yahtzee Score Sheet a direct link.
Hear advice, and receive instruction, so that you may be wise in your latter end.