I am a math and physics teacher fresh out of college so with my summers off I enjoy tapping into my creative side and making things for everyone to enjoy. This cake will put your high school geometry skills to use and is sure to be a hit at any summer party. So if you are looking for a cake that is both delicious and impressive for your summertime get together then this is the instructable for you. This cake is easy but will dazzle your guests by delivering an updated and festive look to a traditional white cake. I start by taking a basic white cake mix and dress it up with a simple homemade butter creme frosting and some food coloring to please the eyes. Follow my step-by-step instructions and you will be on your way to a show stopper in no time.
Step 1: Ingredients
The ingredients for this cake are very simple and can be found at any local grocery store.
For the cake:
- 2 boxed cake mixes (including the ingredients required to bake them i.e. eggs oil and water)
- Several drops of both Red and Blue wilton food colors (I used color gel)
- Crisco or cooking spray (for coating the pan)
For the butter creme icing:
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 or 2 teaspoons vanilla (I like to add the extra teaspoon)
- 1 cup shortening (optional, 2 tablespoons of milk can be added for extra moisture if necessary. I use shortening for a very white looking frosting)