As promised , here I am with another recipe from Indian Cuisine. Back during 2011 last quarter I was in Culver City LA helping one of my clients in their projects. Every Friday they order lunch from a different cuisine restaurant for the entire office (mann... that was total fun.. I really miss that). But before Thanksgiving weekend, they announced a potluck. Everyone has to bring something cooked at home. Some of them hinted me for Indian food like Chole, Mutter Paneer etc.
Back to my Hotel room late at night tired, all I have was some potatoes and Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves) which I brought from India along with other spices. The questions was How can I cook Chole or Mutter Paneer using these ingredients. Well I could not :).
Next morning I came up with this recipe in hurry and I can not tell you what a hit it was. For my American friends & colleagues, fenugreek taste was different and they loved it. It was a bliss for vegan food lovers (there were a few in my office).
Today I will share this recipe with you :).
You must know that Aloo-Methi is actually a very famous main course recipe as well in India, this version is more of a snack and can be made in no time.
Servings : 1 (just me yaaay, I ate it all)
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes.
Vegetarian : Yes
Still looking for your apron.... come on
Step 1: Ingredients
- Kasuri Methi (Dried fenugreek Leaves), they are available in grocery stores (Indian or Asian stores outside Indian subcontinent)
- 3 Boiled (skin peeled) or Baked potatoes of size slightly bigger than an egg. (I have boiled ones). Boiled has one advantage over backed that you can add salt while boiling them, this will add to its taste. (you can also use red potatoes with skin)
- 2 Small red or green chilies
- 3 small cloves of Garlic
- Salt to taste.
- Red paprika
- Vegetable oil
- Cutting board
- Sharp Knife
- Deep frying pan or skillet
Another recipe with minimal or simple ingredients you are just about to cook.
Step 2: Chop Chop
Cut boiled potatoes into bite size pieces , about 1".
Turn on your stove and jump to next step
Step 3: Little Sauteing
- Heat about 1/2 teaspoon of oil in a small frying pan.
- Saute chopped garlic and chilies until golden brown (See Images above)
Step 4: Little More Sauteing
- Once the oil is heated Spread the oil evenly in the pan by moving the pan in circular motion (Image 1).
- Adjust to medium-high flame.
- Put cut potato pieces in the pan (Image 2) and stir nicely such that a light coat of oil is formed around pieces.
- Add salt to taste.
- Put a dash of red paprika (Image 3) and stir
- Now add a little less than handful of Kasuri Methi and stir (Image 4)
- Stir to make sure potatoes are nicely covered in leaves and hints of golden brown edges are visible. (Image 5)
- Turn off stove. Transfer the content in a dish leaving the residue leaves in the pan (they wont tastes good)
Step 5: Serving
Isn't it simple and tempting :).
Thank you for your time to read this ible. If you have any questions, please do let me know in the comments below.
I hope you have liked this ible. Please do share your experience if you choose to make one.
Please vote if you like
You are awesome
Stay tuned :)