Introduction: Indian Butter Chicken | Butter Chicken Masala
PLEASE do VOTE If you like the recipe (Voting button is on top right corner).
Butter chicken or murgh makhani (Hindi: मुर्ग़ मक्खनी) (pronounced [mʊrg məkʰniː]) is a dish from the Indian subcontinent of chicken in a mildly spiced curry sauce.
History and cuisine The dish has its roots in Punjabi cuisine. It was developed by an Indian, Kundan Lal Gujral, a Punjabi Hindu restaurateur,who was the founder of Moti Mahal Delux restaurant in Delhi, India.
The dish was invented by Gujral at his restaurant in Delhi in 1950's. The dish was deduced by mixing the leftover chicken in a tomato gravy, rich in butter and cream and served as such.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 500 gms of Chicken
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste Salt as needed
- 1 to 2 tbsp yogurt
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala Little turmeric
- 1 tbsp. butter or Oil
- 1 cups cubed onions, 3 medium
- 1.5 cups finely chopped deseeded tomatoes (3 large)
- salt as needed
- 10 to 12 cashew nuts / kaju
- ½ to ¾ tsp. garam masala powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp. kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. sugar(optional)
- 1 ½ tbsp. Butter
- 1 bay leaf 3 green cardamom 2 to 3 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste ½ tsp. kasuri methi
- 3 tbsp cream( for restaurant style) few coriander leaves for garnish
PS What is Garam masala and where to find it ?
The main constituents of Garam Masala are cumin, coriander, black pepper, white pepper, chili pepper, paprika, turmeric, capsicum and mustard; roughly in that order. There is no single correct mix. Rather, try making up your own blend. You can always adjust it in the cooking pot by adding more cumin, more chili or something else. As you get more proficient at your curries, you'll build up a idea of how these spices work together and be able to adjust your blend to suit. It really will be a matter of trial and error for a while till you get a mix that works for you. Best places to look for Garam Masala are Online portals like Amazon, Ebay or any Indian grocery store or **supermarket **nearby.
Step 2: Marination
Keep the chicken to marinate by mixing all the items mentioned under `To marinate` for atleast 1 to 2 hours.
- Take one tbsp of butter (or edible oil) in a pan.
- Add chopped onions and cook till raw smell goes away or till it start changing the color.
- Add Salt and tomato. Mix well and cook for around 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add coriander powder, Red chilli powder, Garam masala powder. cashews.
- Mix well.
- Cook for 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Now take this fried onions and tomato in a grinder and grind it by adding very little water.
- After grinding keep it aside.
- Take 2 tbsp of butter in a pan or wok.
- Add Cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom and cloves.
- Fry for 30-40 seconds.Fry for 30-40 seconds.
- Add around One and Half tbsp ginger garlic paste.
- Fry for few seconds till raw smell goes away say for around 30-40 seconds.
- Add marinated chicken pieces.
- Leave it on medium heat till the spices dry off.
- No need to add water as of now.
- It will take around 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in between to ensure that it is not sticking to the base.
- Now add our grinded puree in it. Mix well. Adjust spices if required.
- I am adding here little red chilli powder and garam masala.
- After mixing cook for 2 minutes. Add water as per your gravy requirement.
- Leave it covered on medium flame till chicken pieces become tender.
- Once chicken pieces are tender, Add tsp. kasuri methi,
- Add Sugar (Optional), Add Cream (Optional and for tempting color).
- Garnish it with few Coriander leaves.
- Now our butter chicken is ready to eat. Enjoy it with Rice, Chapati (Indian bread).
If you liked the recipe then please like our video, share video and Subscribe to our channel.