Step 1: Preparing the Spices for Chai
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger (or you can use ground ginger)
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black peppercorns (or substitute with black pepper)
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- *optional: small piece of a vanilla bean
- 2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar (or white sugar)
- 2 tablespoons of black tea
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of whole milk (you can substitute with other kinds of milk - but whole tastes best)
Step 2: Measure and Prepare for Chai
Then, in in small pot bring the water and the pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger and star anise to a boil.
Step 3: Finishing It Up
Once that boils, then remove it from the heat and cover it. Let is steep for 5-8 minutes.
Then add the milk and sugar and return the pot to the heat and bring it back to a boil again. Once boiling, remove from the heat and turn the burner off. Now you can add the tea and let it steep for a few minutes.
Once done, you pour it all through a sieve and your tea is done! I hope you enjoy this wonderful spicy Indian Chai.