Introduction: Indian Yogurt Vada-Dahi Vada
Dahi Vada is a popular snack in India. It is prepared by soaking vadas in thick dahi (yogurt). Dahi vadas are a craze at home and i do make them at times as the they require some prep work to be done before hand… like making both the spicy green coriander chutney and sweet tamarind chutney, preparing the vadas etc.both dahi vada and dahi bhalle are popular north indian snacks as well as street food. they can also be served as a starter dish.
Step 1: Ingredients
For the vada/lentil fritters - makes about 35-38 small vadas
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger, chopped (adrak)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 3 tbsp water for grinding the batter or as required
- ½ tbsp raisins
- salt as required (i added ⅔ tsp rock salt)
- 2 to 2.25 cups curd/yogurt (i made homemade yogurt made from 500 ml organic milk)
- ½ to 1 tsp chaat masala or as required
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder or as required
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder/bhuna jeera powder
- black salt or regular salt as required
For green chutney:
- 2 cups coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 or 1.5 tsp anardana/dry pomegranate seeds or ½ to 1 tsp amchur powder/dry mango powder
>½ tbsp chopped onion (optional)
>1 or 2 garlic cloves (lahsun)
>salt as requiredwater as required
Step 2: Soak Vada in Hot Water
To get a good soft urad dal vadas, remember to soak the lentils overnight. Grind the batter really well with little water, this step is for making vada on your own.
After thet get well sponzy,remove out all water and seperate.
Step 3: Take Yogurt
Take yogurt and add all ingredients like chilli powder,cumin powder,black/rock salt and common salt as required.
Mix all the things till looks decent.
Step 4: Stirr Till All Mix Up
Mix up all the yogurt with a hand blender mechanically or electrical does.nt matter. If you want more thik yogurt you can add ,all depends on you.
Step 5: Pour Yogurt
Whisk yogurt till smooth.
Pour the yogurt over the vadas.
Sprinkle the red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala and black salt.
Garnish dahi vada with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve dahi vada immediately or refrigerate and serve later.
Step 6: Topping
Preparing the green chutney:
Grind all the ingredients mentioned under the green chutney list with little water.
Remove and keep aside in a small bowl.
Top with the green chutney and tamarind chutney as required.
Soak them well and finally we are done
Step 7: See What You Have Make
We have made our Dahi vadas a very good and delicious snack for morning /evening anytime.
More better if you will cool them inside refrigerator and then serve.
This marks the end of this instructable. Hope you liked it.
Please vote and share if you think it was awesome.
Don't forget to follow for more cool stuffs!!
Fell free to have any query.
Hope you liked my instructable.
Share and Vote Thanks.