For this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
-cooking spray (olive oil if you have it)
-1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
-1 large yellow onion, diced
-2 large carrots, peeled and diced
-1 cup of frozen peas
-2 cups low sodium chicken broth
-4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
-2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
-fresh ground pepper to taste
-3/4 cup of skim milk
-2 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
-2 cups whole-wheat flour (about 2 tablespoons for dusting)
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/8 teaspoon of salt (optional)
-1 tablespoon olive oil
Step 1: Creating the Filling
2. In a large skillet, mist with cooking spray. Saute chicken until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
3. Add onions and carrots. Saute until onion is slightly browned, add peas and cook until thawed.
4. Stir in broth and thyme and cook until broth is warmed. Stir in two tablespoons of whole-wheat flour and reduce heat to medium.
stir constantly until broth is thickened. Pepper to taste and turn off stove, but don't remove the pan from heat.
Step 2: Preparing the Biscuits
2. In a large mixing bowl, blend two cups of whole wheat, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the milk-vinegar mixture, a quarter-cup at a time. Add oil, and the remaining two tablespoons of whole-wheat flour.
The dough will be slightly sticky. if it is too sticky to work with, add a little more flour.
3. Roll the dough into 12 biscuits.
As you can see I made 11, one guest asked for less bread.
Step 3: Putting Together the Pot Pies
2. Top each ramekin with 3 biscuits each.
3. place the ramekins on a parchment or aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
Step 4: Baking the Pot Pies
When finished, remove and allow to cool.
To serve, place each ramekin on a plate, as they will be too hot to handle.