Most times that I go to the local dump I check the wood pile for lumber and other useful bits of wood. I endeavored to challenge my creativity by staying within the limits of my recycled lumber supply (Sounds better than "I didn't want to spend money if I could help it.").
The side pieces are cut from a 2" x 10" of some type of close-grained wood.
The bottom braces are 2" x 6" with grooves to fit the 2" x 10"s. Eight 3" screws (also recycled) hold them together.
The shelf (bottom of kindling box) is a 1" x 10", held in place (and pretty tightly at that) with my first attempt at mortise and tenon joinery with the 2" x 10"s. It also happened to be slightly wider than the side pieces and came almost flush with the slats on the front and back of the box.
Four slats (approx. 1/4" x 2 1/2") from some type of shelving unit make up the front and back of the kindling box (2 on each side). 1" screws hold the slats to the 2" x 10"s.
None of the wood had been treated or finished so far as I could tell. Fasteners of varying shapes and sizes (nails, screws, and staples) had to be removed from all but the 1" x 10". The 2" x 10" pieces were weathered enough that the grain was separating, so they were shaved using a table saw, then sanded smooth. All the other pieces required sanding to remove weathering or dirt. Corners that would be exposed were rounded with a chisel and sander. I finished it all with a water-based polyurethane.
So far as construction is concerned, I think the images show enough (my cop-out for "I didn't take any pictures during the build."). I intentionally left out length dimensions as I don't recall them and my tape is in the garage as I write this. I can say that I was going for roughly 2' x 2' x 1' of storage space and didn't get too far off. I am sure someone wanting to build something similar will have their own size requirements.