Introduction: Indoor Fireworks
This is just a simple two color LED light wand that is fun to play with in the dark, and makes some cool light art.
What you need to make it:
- 1 - Toilet paper tube
- Scrap Piece of Cardboard
- 3 - AA Batteries
- 4 - Water clear Red LED's
- 4 - UV LED's
- 10' Speaker Wire
- 1 - SPDT Micro Switch
- Soldering Iron and Solder
- Hot Glue Gun and Sticks
- Utility Knife
Step 1: Make the Light Tendrils
- Cut 8 12" lengths of speaker wire and strip and tin the ends with solder.
- Solder a series resistor appropriate for your LED's, when powered by 4.5 Volts, to the positive leg of each LED.
- Solder the positive and negative wires to the LED's as shown.
Step 2: Put the Rest Together
- Twist all of the negative wires together at the other end.
- Twist all of the positive wires together at the other end.
- Attach a pair of extension wires to the bundles for battery connection.
- Tape all of the exposed wire and leads on both ends.
- Feed the wire bundle through a hole cut in a cardboard end cap that will fit inside the tube.
- Hot glue this cap to one end of the tube, and apply a liberal amount of glue to secure the wires.
- Solder the SPDT Micro switch to the negative lead, then to the battery.
- Make a battery pack by taping the three 1.5V cells together and connect the terminals together by soldering pieces of wire in a series configuration, bringing the total voltage to 4.5V.
- Solder the positive battery wire to the battery pack positive terminal.
- Solder a wire between the switch and the negative battery pack terminal.
- Hot glue the switch and battery pack inside the tube, leaving the switch accessible at the end.
- Cut the other cardboard end cap around the switch and hot glue it in.