I've seen similar shelves on etsy of the same size starting at $150. I made this shelf myself for under $70.
Step 1: Materials
- (2) Flanges to mount pipe on the wall
- (8) Wood Screws - size 12x2"
- (8) 12" threaded pipes (1" diameter)
- (9) 90 degree pipe elbows (1" diameter)
- (2) 5" threaded pipes (1" diameter)
- Hand drill
- Drill bits
- Measuring Tape
Step 2: Mount Flange on Wall
You want to mount the flanges on studs so you will need a stud finder to help you. I mounted my shelf in the corner of my room where I knew there would be a stud. Check out these resources for finding studs:
- How to Use a Magnet to find a Stud
- Stud finder pro iphone app
- Or buy one at your local hardware store
- Once you have figured out where you want your shelf to be, decide where you want to mount the first flange and mark the holes with a pencil where you will drill.
- Drill pilot holes using a drill bit that is a bit smaller than the size of your screws.
- Hold the flange up to the wall and screw the flange in with the hand drill.
Step 3: Attach Pipes
TRICK: to get the pipes tight enough, after attaching the elbow pipes to the ends of the pipe, use the 2nd 5" pipe to tighten the connections. The 5" pipe gives you more torque, and is helpful when you need to tighten pipes near the corners.