Introduction: Industrial Strength Spice Rack
1. Sturdy spice rack for a busy NYC pizzeria
2. Able to survive multiple falls from 4 feet
3. Store 20+ large spice containers
4. Use only 1x2 wood
5. Fit inside a 12x12 tile
1. 4 - 1x2 pieces of pine wood; the Home Depot I go to has them in 6 foot lengths
2. 2 inch drywall screws; Home Depot SKU # 479697
3. Saw and mitre box; Home Depot SKU # 972442
4. 8 - 90 degree brackets: Home Depot SKU # 113517
5. Cordless or hand drill
6. Phillips head screwdriver
7. Foamboard (optional)
Step 1: Cut Shelving Segments
1. Cut 1x2 into 8.5 inch segments
2. Cut 16 segments
3. There are 8 segments per shelf, 2 shelves total.
Step 2: Screw Shelf Segments Together
1. Screw the 1x2 segments together using 2 screws per attachment
2. Be sure to stagger the screws so that they do not run into each other
3. If you want extra reinforcement, put an extra screw in
Step 3: Attach Shelves to Vertical Columns
1. Saw the 2 front columns of 15 inches each
2. Saw the 2 back columns of 20 inches each
3. Use angle brackets to secure the top shelf approximately 14 inches from the bottom.
4. Use angle brackets to secure the bottom shelf approximately 2 inches from the bottom.
Step 4: Reinforce Attachment Points
1. Using the 2 inch screws, screw them into the front and back columns into the shelves to reinforce the angle brackets.
2. I used 2 screws per corner to make it strong.
Step 5: Attach Crossbar
1. Saw a piece of wood 11.5 inches long. This is going to be the crossbar at the top.
2. Stand the crossbar on its side on top of the 2 rear vertical columns.
3. Use the 2 inch screws to secure it to either column.
4. Once again, I used 2 screws per attachment.
Step 6: Attach Sign (optional)
Note: this step is optional and does not affect the structural integrity of the rack
1. Print out the name of the restaurant and its website.
2. Tape it to a piece of thick foamboard.
3. Using the 2 inch screws, secure it to the crossbar (I used 3).
Step 7: Reaview of the Spice Rack
1. A rearview of the spice rack showing the different components.
Step 8: Front View of the Finished Rack
1. Front view of the finished rack.
Step 9: Filled With Spices
1. The finished rack with spices on both shelves.
2. The rack can fit about 12 spice shakers per level.
3. The pizzeria owner stained it as well to make it fit better into the surrounding decor.