1. Ingrown toenail as a result of fungal infection
2. Hacksaw blade with 32 tpi. The high tooth count is important!
Step 1: Saw Nail Vertically
2. These cuts will weaken the nail so that when pressure is put on it via walking, it will have some room to move laterally. This movement will help stop the nail from driving into the skin.
3. The most important cut will be the one next to the point of the nail that is driving into the skin. It is at this point that the most lateral movement is needed to relieve the pressure.
4. Once the cuts are made, it will be easier to push a piece of cotton or paper under the portion of the nail that is driving into the skin to help bend it away from the skin.
5. Be sure to use a 32 tpi blade. The lower number tpi blades (like a reciprocating saw blade) have a tendency to rip and pull on the nail. A 32 tpi blade will saw into the nail without tearing into it.
6. Note that the cuts provide additional opportunities for anti-fungal cream to penetrate when it is applied.