Introduction: Inner Tube Rubber Bracelet Core
For a workshop I will give this weekend I was teaching myself how to make "survival" bracelets. The problem for me with the bracelets that I found on this site, where the clasps, buckles or whatever method they had to close the bracelet. This problem was solved by using an inner tube from a bike as the core of the bracelet. Ideally the diameter of the tube would be the size of your wrist, but we don't live in an ideal world so I had to work around that.
Step 1: You Will Need
- wire, rope of string
- old inner tube
- hole puncher
Step 2: The Tube
- Cut a piece of tube long enough to go around your wrist plus 2 cm (1 inch) extra.
- Cut it lengthwise
- Cut of a 1 cm (1/2 inch) strip
I know 1 inch is not exactly 2 cm but doesn't come so close.
Step 3: The Connection
- Measure the size of your wrist.
- Punch a couple of holes in both sides of the rubber strip so it will fit around your wrist when you put the holes on top of each other (I liked 3 holes)
Look carefully where the holes will come. You want to have them in the centre of the strip and spaced evenly on both sides.
Step 4: Start With the Rope
- Put the two ropes through the first hole, from the inside out.
- Stick these same ends through the second hole, again from the inside out.
- Put the ends through the loops that where created by going around.
- Go through the last hole. Again from the inside out.
- Pull everything tight (let 5 cm, 2 inch, stick out)
Step 5: Stitching
- The UNDER line (in my case the orange) will go through the bracelet, leaving a loop on the side where it started. It needs to lay over the OVER line (in my case red) on the other side.
- The OVER line will go over the bracelet through the loop of the UNDER line on the other side.
- Pull everything tight and do it exactly the same only the other way around (left becomes right)
- Repeat until finished.
Step 6: Finishing Off
- Cut off the excess wire, leaving 5 cm (2 inch) to finish it off.
- Knot het two UNDER wires together
- Knot the two OVER wires together
Step 7: The Result
You will end up with a bracelet that looks cool and that is easy to take off and still won't fall of out of itself.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.