Introduction: Install and Configure KeePass Password Manager
OK in the following tutorial i will show you how to configure the KeePass password manager.
If you people need more info it will be added here under the line.
Step 1: Overview and Features
Q: Why a password manager ?
A: Look at the upper image, if you got not a passwords like dKeDjupfS22ykVSyzAmo and you can memorize them for each site you use then you are a easy target for some script kid that dreams to be a hacker.
Q: Why KeePass and not RoboForm or RoboForm2Go or software XYZ?
Features & Integration:
On the short, it will store and protect your passwords in a password protected (it can be protected with more) container, it will generate new and complex passwords, it will automaticly inputed in the websites you need whit just a click in the input fields (chrome, chromium, iron)
Step 2: Google Chrome and Chromium Integration.
I recently switched from Chrome to Chromium, did not like the remote kill feature for plugins (VideoDownloader extension as example). Instalation is the same on both.
I will use the portable version of chromium.
First go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chromeipass/ompiailgknfdndiefoaoiligalphfdae and grab chromeIPass (directly from Chromium).
You will need a plugin for KeePass too, it is called KeePassHttp https://github.com/pfn/keepasshttp (you need the file with the plgx extension).
https://github.com/pfn/passifox/blob/master/documentation/chromeIPass.md here is the step by step guide for installing the extension (with pictures for the non eng ppl).
After configuration you will just go to a website and click on the input fields and the rest is done automated. Nice and easy.
Step 3: Firefox Integration.
Step 4: Internet Explorer Integration
1. Download trixie from http://web.archive.org/web/20100917214025/http://bhelpuri.net/Trixie/TrixieDownload.htm (yes the main site is down)
2. Close Internet Explorer and install Trixie.
3. Copy or download the script attached to this page and save it in (C:\Program Files\Bhelpuri\Trixie\Scripts)[32 bit] or (C:\Program Files (x86)\Bhelpuri\Trixie\Scripts)[64 bit] as IEURLTitle.user.js delete allouther scripts you find in there.
4. Open KeePass and log into your database. Go to --> Tools --> Options --> Advanced Tab --> Check the option under Auto-Type that says "An entry matches if the host component of its URL is contained in the target window title". Click OK. Version 2.18 or higher required for this step.
5. Open IE --> ALT + T --> Trixie Options.. --> Uncheck everybox except the one for "IE URL in TITLE" --> Click OK. You should now be able to use CTRL+ALT+A to Auto-Type in IE.
Step 5: Add Plugins
In the base folder of KeePass (current version is 2.29 at the time i write this) make a folder called PLUGINS then drop in the syncing plugins and what you need ( i use GoogleSyncPlugin, KeeCloud, KeePassHttp and QrCodeGenerator). After that you just need to start the app, it will automatically detect the plugins and start them.
• All plugins are in a proprietary format, the plugins files are with the extension .plgx.
• For configuring the sync plugins see my tutorial for KeePass and the relative readme for each plugin.
• I use the portable version of keepass, with gpg4usb for encrypting my emails both keept on FreeOTFE portable encrypted volume. That is very secure, personally i don't trust trust google or dropbox in the light of the new knowledge we got from Edward Snowden, i use only ftps where i store the encrypted volume for gpg4usb and the database for keepass stored as a file.
• KeePass try to open any file as a database, EVEN IF THE EXTENSION IS NOT the default one .kdbx, that can be used to put your extension as something else, like .mdb file or anything you like.