This information will guide you on how to install the NOOBS operating system(OS) from scratch. There are third party OS also avaliabble like UBUNTU MATE, SNAPPY UBUNTU CORE etc for these the installation may be slightly different and not covered here. Before setting up we need the following devices as shown in the image and list below.
- SD card, USB Wifi dongle,
- VGA to HDMI converter (if you dont have a hdmi monitor)
- Mouse and
- Raspberry Pi (In our case we are using Pi B+)hardware.
Step 1: How to Download the Firmware(OS)
- Download the Firmware for Raspberry pi by searching raspberry pi as shown in image 1 or else by opening the following link https://www.raspberrypi.org/ . In that window click on the downloads to proceed for downloading Firmware as shown in image 2.
The download window is loaded as shown in image 3, click on the NOOBS .In this tutor we are concentrating on NOOBS .
The NOOBS download able window will appear choose to download by download torrent or by download zip as shown in image 4.
Once the NOOBS is downloaded completely, open the folder in which file is downloaded. The folder contains compressed file as shown in the image 5 naming NOOBS_v1_5_0.
Extract the NOOBs_v1_5_0 as shown in image 6.
Once it is extracted we will be able to see the folder with the name NOOBs_v1_5_0 as shown in image 7.
Step 2: How to Copy the OS to Micro SD Card
- Now open the folder NOOBs_v1_5_0 and copy the contains of the folder as shown in image 1 and paste it into the micro SD card. If the micro SD card is not new, you will have to format it using SD Formatter (recommended) and then copy the files into the card as shown in the image 2
- While copying , copy only the files present in the NOOBs_v1_5_0 folder and past it directly inside the SD card.
- After copying insert the micro SD card into the Raspberry pi Hardware as shown in the image 3 and image 4 and press the SD card to fix inside the slot.
- Setup the connection by connecting power supply, Vga to HDMI converter to HDMI port of Raspberry pi, connect the wifi module, keyboard and mouse as shown in the image 5 and image 6.
Step 3: Booting Proccess of OS Into Raspberry Pi
- Once the power is on it will boot through the SD Card as shown in the image 1 where on the monitor will be able to see the logo of raspberry pi.
It will ask whether you need to install Raspbian [Recommended]. Choose your language to install as shown in the image 2. Click on the radio button to install it as shown in the image 3. It will ask permission to overwrite the SD Card files as shown in the image 4, click on yes to proceed for installation.
The installation process will start from 0% as shown in the image 5 wait till it completes 100%. Once the OS
is installed it will give the message saying that OS (es) Installed Successfully as shown in the image 6.
After installing the OS reboots as shown in the image 7. Once it reboots successfully the window of OS will appear on the monitor as seen in the image 8.
Now we need to connect the Raspberry pi to the Wi-Fi network to access using ssh . Click on the top right corner of the window as shown in the image 9. Click for the network you wish to connect. In here we wish to connect for Armtronix. Enter the Pre Shared key (password) and click on ok to connect. Once it is connected it shows like image 10.
Step 4: Installation of Putty on Computer or Laptop for SSH on Windows
Putty is a free and open-source terminal emulator, serial console and network file transfer application. It supports several network protocols, including SCP, SSH, Telnet, rlogin, and raw socket connection. It can also connect to a serial port.To download ,connect Putty and use ssh follow the instructions below
Open the following link www.putty.org/. To download Putty follow image 1. The following window will appear as shown in image 2. Click on the Putty.exe, and click to save the file. Open the folder where the file is downloaded and double click to open as shown in the image 3 and image 4.
When the putty window is open as shown in image 4, it asks to configure to which Host we want to connect.
- To find the IP address of Host(in our case Raspberry Pi B+) of we need to open the terminal window in the Raspberry pi and type the command ifconfig as shown in the image 5 or you canalsoget it from you router.
After entering the command it will list the information as shown in the image 6, it is highlighted.
Enter the IP address in putty and click on open. The new command prompt window is opened as shown in the image 7. We need to login with the host name and password.
Once we have entered the above mentioned details correctly, the user is able to enter to the host device as shown in the image 8.
To access to the root we need to enter the command sudo –i. In the image 9 window showing that user has accessed to root.
Just hope we have made this instructable as clear as possible for beginners.
Creating some other instructable- Mqtt broker installation on Raspberry Pi, Installation of openHAB on Raspberry Pi and setting it to control the lights, fan and camera etc which will be updated shortly.