A while back we had an unexpected forced kitchen remodel, a row of upper cabinets full fell off the wall one day nearly taking my wife out with it. Like most projects around the house replacing these cabinets sat on the back burner until IKEA started sending us fliers in the mail and we noticed how nice their cabinets looked and how affordable they can be. We went with the Akurum wall cabinets with the aluminum framed frosted glass doors and glass shelves, if they things fall it could be really bad so I have to make sure to get it right unlike the previous owners of our house.
A little background, our house is concrete block and the wall these cabinets are to be installed on is the inside of an exterior concrete wall covered with furring strips, two layers of sheet rock, and about 3/16" thick textured finish. It was obvious that hanging the cabinets with wood screw to the furring strips was not a great idea so my plan here is to anchor the cabinets into the concrete with tapcons, a whole lot of tapcons.
This project was easier than most because the old cabinets were already off the wall.
What tools and materials are needed, well here is my list, everything is not needed but since I have them I tend to use the best too for the job, like using a chisel to open a can of paint.
4' level (You MUST have a level and a big one)
Framing Square (the cabinet boxes MUST be square for the doors to line up)
Impact Driver (Cordless Drill or even screwdrivers and a socket set would work)
Hammer Drill (For concrete block you don't need the hammer drill but it makes life easy)
Drill Bits (You need to drill through for the bolts that pull the separate cabinets together)
Tapcons (I used 1/4" by 3 1/4" lags, you may need shorter ones if you don't have multiple layers of drywall)
Circular Saw with Metal Cut Off Blade (have to cut the steel rails that the cabinets hang on, anything that can cut steel will work here.)
Clamps (Small clamps are fine)
Nice to have tools:
rotary saw (I used this as a router for cabinets customization and in the wall exploration)
Step 1: Installing the stinking rail! Piece of cake right???
So IKEA sells a rail to hang the cabinets on, the rail has a million holes in it and a t channel to slide the attachment hardware into, this is a heavy double layer of gavanized 16 or 18 gauge steel. The rails are about 90" long and and I needed two pieces as I was installing 106" of cabinets. So this was going to be my easy step, make sure the existing electrical wire is below the rail and drill and screw about 40 tapcons to hold it up and be done, hour tops right. Remember I started the project at 9pm Friday night.
So I mark the end where the rail will start, you want is in about 1/4" from the end of the cabinet. I then put a few finishing nails into the wall to hold the rail in place so I can level it and drill the first hole. I put the first hole in and sink a tapcon nice and tight and then check for level again and move the next hole, on this hole I do not hit anything till the drill bit is about 4" into the wall..... Scratching my head I move to another hold and try again, same thing. It appears at the top of my wall there is a huge gap between the drywall and the block. Even if they made 5" long tapcons they would sag or break with that much unsupported shaft.
At this point I am a little frantic so I put a few holes lower in the wall and find good solid block behind the drywall, hmmm...... Frustrated I put the drill down and walk outside and sit down scratching my head. I put in a phone call to my dad who was a 30 year shop teacher and start talking to him about my options. Well he was a little stumped since he has lived in wood framed houses forever in North Florida, myself I would never live in another wood framed house after having my house burn down with me in it once but that is a story for another time. While talking to him I suggest that I could just use the new Dewalt rotary tool he gave me recently to cut out a strip of drywall to find out what is back there, he thinks that is a good idea so I get off the phone and start cutting. So...... with a strip cut out of the wall I take a metal skewer and start probing back there, sure enough the wall ends about 3" from the ceiling but I feel something about 2" back feels like wood, hmmm.... must be a top cap on the wall for the ceiling beams to attach to. A little note about the design of my house, I have a block home with a slightly sloped roof and no craw space just beams and a built up roof. So since this wall is on the inside of an upward slope the block will never reach the ceiling in here, makes sense now.
So now for the second attempt, everything is shifting down 3 inches. I use a cold chisel to make a grove in the drywall to lower the electric wire and start again. Drill and screw, drill and screw. As you guys may or may not know, drilling in concrete is hard work, a five pound drill and I was really leading into it while standing on a ladder with my head wedged into the ceiling for extra leverage I was a human leaf leaf spring. Once the first rail was installed I had to cut a 15.5" section of railing to complete so I went outside and cut it with a cutoff wheel mounted in the circular saw, you could also use a dremel or many other tools for this step, anything that cuts steel but that circular saw does a real good job!
The important thing to remember in this step is make sure that rail is LEVEL!!!! I was lucky in that my counter top only had about a 1/4" drop over a ten foot span so I was able to level the cabinets with gravity and not have to account for a badly skewed counter top. If you have badly out of whack lower cabinets you have some tough decisions to make about whether to level with gravity or try to match the counter top angle.
So I have written an entire page on what should have been a paragraph but at this point the rail is up so lets move on to putting the cabinets together.