This tutorial is the first part of a bigger project called IPSec implementation with proprietary cryptographic algorithm.
The purpose of the project is to implement a hardware cryptographic algorithm using a Zybo board.
Requirements for this tutorial:
- Zybo board
- 4GB or bigger microSD card
- card reader
- a Linux distribution on your computer(I've used Ubuntu)
- monitor with VGA or HDMI input
Step 1: Preparing You Micro SD Card for Partitioning
For installing Xillinux on your Zybo board you need to create 2 partitions on your micro sd card that will be used in the board.
For this step I recommend you to follow the first 3 steps from this tutorial.
After you followed those 3 steps you will have 2 partitions on your card as shown in the above image.
First one is called ZYBO_BOOT and the second one is called ROOT_FS.
Step 2: Setup Boot Volume
For setting up you boot partition from your card,follow these steps.
- Download the boot files from here.
- Extract the zip file.
- Copy the files from "bootfiles" folder into your ZYBO_BOOT volume.
- Download the prebuilt xillydemo.bin from xilinx and copy it to ZYBO_BOOT volume.
At this step your boot volume have to contain the following files:
Note: for this tutorial I am using prebuilt boot files.There will be another tutorial where I will build the boot files to add functionalities for my project.
- Download Xillinux from here
- Extract the archive
- Double click on xillinux-1.3.img image file and 2 volumes will be mounted automatically.
- From the 16 MB volume copy uImage file to ZYBO_BOOT volume.
- Copy the content from the 1.8 GB to ROOT_FS volume.
cd /media/[your username]/[1.8 GB volume name] sudo rsync -a ./ /media/[your_username]/ROOT_FS
Step 4: Check Boot Volume Content
After copying the uImage file on ZYBO_BOOT volume it has to contain the files from the image above
Step 5: Check Linux Volume Content
Your ROOT_FS volume has to contain the files from the image above.
Step 6: Preparing Your Board for Booting
- Extract the SD card from your computer or card reader.
- Insert the microSD card in your Zybo board.
- Change JP7 jumper position for wall power supply.
- Change JP5 jumper position for booting from SD card.
Your board jumper configuration should look like the image above.
Step 7: First Start
Connect a mouse and a keyboard to your board using an usb hub,connect the monitor and power supply to your board and then you are ready to power on your board.
Start graphic interface by typing startx into the shell.