Introduction: Instamorph Coke Cup
- Create your own one-of-a-kind cup using instamorph moldable plastic and a soda bottle.
Step 1: Supplies:
- Instamorph Moldable plastic
- A drink bottle to use as a mold (we used a small plastic diet coke bottle)
- A glass dish to heat the instamorph
- Cooking spray
- A plate
Step 2: Prepare Your Mold
Find the drink bottle you want to shape your cup to, remove any labels, cover the bottle with cooking spray to avoid the instamorph sticking, and set aside.
Step 3: Heat the Instamorph
- Find a glass dish in which to heat your instamorph (we found a glass pie dish worked best). You will want something microwave safe and as flat as possible to avoid ruining your cup as you go.
- Pour the instamorph in your dish and cover it with water.
- Heat in 30 second intervals in the microwave until intamorph beads become clear and stick to each other.
BE CAREFUL AS THE WATER GETS VERY HOT!
Step 4: Flatten Your Plastic
Once the instamorph is heated, remove it from your container carefully and use a plate to flatten it into a circle reheating to continue flattening as necessary.
Step 5: Create the Bottom of Your Cup.
- Press the bottom of your bottle down into the middle of your plastic just enough to know how big and where your base is.
- Then carefully use scissors to cut out small triangular portions from your plastic circle. Avoid cutting into the center where your base will is.
Step 6: Form Your Cup
Reheat your plastic in your glass dish and then immediately begin to form the plastic up the sides of your bottle pressing the seams together.
Step 7: Form Your Cup.
Reheat the water in your glass dish and then dip any parts of the plastic which may need reforming into the hot water and press against the bottle smoothing out the plastic as you go.
Gently remove the cup from your bottle, check for any holes, and cover them with the reheated plastic scraps you cut out of your circle at the beginning.
Keeping the water hot in order to reheat your plastic, use your fingers to smooth out any edges or spots you are not happy with until your cup is finished.
Step 8: Finished Product
You can make your cup as short or as tall as you want, or as rough or as smooth as you want until you are happy with it.