In this Instructable we'll upcycle those air pillows to make a vertical garden which can be draped or wall mounted; we will use the draped version as our example.
This instructable is about as easy as breathing and costs about as much so let's gather our materials and get started:
Step 1: Tool & Materials
- A knife or scissors
- A column of air pillows consisting of 3 or more pockets
- Some small plants or dirt and seeds
- A small handful of rocks/gravel/pebbles to line the bottom of each pocket
- Clear packing tape
Step 2: Tape & Air Pillows
*You can use other wide tapes but I think clear packing tape is the best choice.
** This is not absolutely necessary depending on how many air pillows you have in the column but it won't hurt...a falling bag of rocks and dirt could hurt.
***After you're done using the packing tape, make a courtesy-tab on the end of the roll so that the next person doesn't have to struggle trying to get a piece.
Step 3: Knife
The version I made for this instructable drapes over objects so all of the cuts were on the edges which were pointing towards the center of the air pillow column.
Step 4: Gravel
In the example hanging garden the fourth air pillow, being the center of seven, is empty.
*You may want to clip it to the center of the garden to surface you're attaching it to, temporarily until after the next step. I used a bulldog-clip as you can see in the picture.
Step 5: Plants & Dirt
Step 6: Hang a Garden on It:
- Hang your garden on a chair and pretend it's person.
- Hang it on a railing and look at it while you walk up stairs...
- OR on a different railing and watch it as you walk down stairs...
- Drape it over a fence (your fence, a public fence or barbed wire maybe)...
- Hang it over the branch of a tree, on your best friend, on a clothesline, in your window, maybe you could use it as a scarf, make a draped garden which hangs like a wall OR think of your own places to put your new hanging garden.
To get updates on related and unrelated projects: https://www.facebook.com/JustinTylerTate