Introduction: Intelligent Robot From SjtuJI 1st Seven
We are students from shanghai JiaoTong university which enjoys a long history. We are now studying in joint institute. Our university is a very prestigious one and our institute is a really perfect one which offers us countless new experience.
We are group 1stseven, and we are all attending vg100(introduction to engineering). This program asks us to make a project of intelligent robot which can transport balls in order to compete in the competition.
The details of the competition:
1. our competing field is 2000mm×1500mm,which is divided into two equivalent areas by a wall. The wall has a height of 70mm and the width of 18mm ,leaving a gap of 50mm in height below it.
2. Four big balls of 70mm in diameter and eight small balls of 40 mm in diameter are placed on both two areas.
3. Our aim is to use our robot to transport big balls and small balls to the field of the opponent.
4. If we manage to transport a large ball, we will get five points, while for small balls, we will get 2 points.
Time limit: 3minutes
Dimension limit for robots: 350mm*350mm*200mm
Players are allowed to move opponent’s ball back to the opponent’s territory
The score will be counted at the end of the game.
you can also visit these two links to watch our videos:
Step 1: What You Need
What you need:
1. Various kinds of nails and cover nuts.
2. Different braces to assemble a mechanical arm(RMB138)
3. A mechanical jaw(RMB169)
4. Two steering engines.(RMB140)
5. Acrylic sheets
6. Arduino board(RMB40)
7. RC battery(RMB140)
8. Ps2 handles(RMB40)
9. Motors and tyres(offered by TA)
Step 2: Our Design
Our design: Using
the robot car assembling with a mechanical jaw and a mechanical arm to grab the big balls and the small balls to the field of the opponents.(controlling tools: arduino, steering engines, ps2 handle)
Step 3: Prepare Your Ps2
How to prepare and connect your ps2 to you arduino.
1、 Prepare your ps2 handle and arduino UNO R3 control board. Make sure you have already installed the software “arduino” on your computer.
2、 Connect your acceptor and control board carefully.
Notification: the acceptor has 4 ports to connect with the data interfaces on your arduino board.
3、 Upload your procedure into your arduino.
4、 After pitting in the batteries, switch on your ps2, and your acceptor and ps2 will make a pair automatically. if red and green lights are lightened simultaneously, you have succeeded.
5、 Switch on your serial monitor, and press each button to test your ps2.
Step 4: Make Up the Mechanical Arm
How to assemble the mechanical arm with the steering engines?
To make our explanation clear, we divide our mechanical arm into two parts(the arm part and the jaw part)
To make up the arm part:
1. Assemble the big base with one support①to make the arm more stable on the car.
2. Assemble the support① at the bottom with another same support②
3.Install the support③with the support②.
4.Fill the support③with the first engine①, one free degree is realized.
To make up the jaw part:
1. Connect the steering engine ② with our jaw.
2. Assemble our jaw with the steering engine② to control the jaw’s open and close.
(Notification: adjust our steering engines to the middle position is necessary.(p=1500)
Step 5: Make the Car
How to make the car？
1. Connect the mechanical arm with the Acrylic sheet with four holes
2. Dig four holes at two corners at the Acrylic sheet , assemble two supports with motors on it.
3. Assemble two tyres on the motors
4. Place and assemble a small tyre on the top of the bottom board to keep the balance.
5 .Stable the arduino board and RC battery on the car.
Step 6: Connect the Circuit
Fourth step: how to assemble the circuit?
1. Connect the steering engines with the arduino board.(explanation: Each steering engine has three wires to connect ,one is to connect the “GND” , another one is to connect the “5V”, the last one is to connect with one data port on the arduino)
2. Connect your acceptor and control board carefully.
( Notification: the acceptor has 4 ports to connect with the data interfaces on your arduino board.)
3.Connect the two motors (ENA, ENB, four digital ports(two of each) .
Step 7: Adjust
Last step: adjusting
To make the robot car function well, we must spend a few days to make the adjustment.
Things to be adjusted:
1. The speed of the motor.
2. The angle our steering engine can spin to make each steering engine reach the position expected.
3. The overall adjustment of the car’s length and height.
Step 8: Reflection
1. We should have prepared a few more steering engines in case it goes wrong during the last day or the last moment(we have encountered this problem which affect our competition result because of one of the steering engine’s breaking down.)
2. We should have bought some engines with larger power.
3. We should have made our preparation of the project earlier.
Remarks: So if you have read our mannual, please consult our reflection in order to avoid making the same problem.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.