I decided to design and build my own version of the Optikinetics Cassette and Cassette rotator for a few reasons:
- Because I love the visual affects of the optkinetics cassettes and was fascinated with how they work
- You cannot buy the original Opti accessories in Australia (if you can PLEASE tell me where!! In addition to this comment, I have found some gear owned by a couple of sound and lighting companies but they would not part with it)
- Its expensive and you have to order from the UK.
- There is a fair amount of interest in the DJ/VJ community on creating your own customized projections
- Finally, because it was fun! This was a great project with unlimited boundaries. I spent hours on Gimp coming up with crazy kaleidascope and optical illusion patterns and trying to incorporate my DJ/Business name into them etc. etc.
Please feel free to contact me for finer details on this project! I am always happy to share info : )
What you Need...
- A 6" Wheel rotator with the slowest speed you can get ( 1/2 to 1 RPM is best)
- 2 x thin bolts about 1 inch long with 3 nuts for each bolt (doesnt matter if they're longer)
- A drill and drill piece to suit your bolt size
- A hole saw drill piece or some way to make a wheel/cog which will turn the cassette (theres 100s of ways you can make this part but I am using wood)
- Super Glue
- Some imagination and creativity : D