You will need to install Unity 4.x (Free or Pro).
Start up Unity and create a New Project. Don't worry about importing things yet!
Step 1: This is UNITY!
Let's set our layout to the Default layout.
Go to the Menu Bar and click on Window > Layouts > Default
- Menu Bar
- Object Manipulation Tools (Gizmo): Use this to pan the view and move, rotate, and resize objects.
- Pivot Setting: This changes the location of the Gizmo to either be at the object's pivot point or the object's center.
- Coordinate Settings: Use this to change whether to move an object in the global coordinate system or its local coordinate system (based on the object's rotation).
- In-Editor Game Manipulation Tools: Use these to start/stop, pause, and step the game.
- Layers: Change what layers are visible in your scene in case you want to work only on one set of objects.
- Layout Menu: Change your current window layout.
- Hierarchy Window: Game objects in here are part of the current scene. Manipulate them here.
- Scene / Game / Animator viewer: This is where you view your game. Navigate this by using right click with WASD or the mouse to pan/zoom/tilt.
- Gizmo: This is a Gizmo. Use this to move, rotate, and resize objects based on the selected tool.
- Inspector Window: This is where you change settings for a selected object.
- Project Window: This is where all the assets for the project are stored.
- Console Window: Errors, warnings, and print messages will all appear here. Use this to debug.
- Message Bar: Whenever you have an error, warning, or message, it will show up down here. Go to the console to fix all your bugs.
Step 2: Importing Packages
In the Menu Bar, look under the Assets tab to Import some packages.
Assets > Import Package > Terrain Assets
Assets > Import Package > Character Controller