What you need:
• Double-Sided Tape
• Mailing Stickers
• X-ACTO Knife
• 1" Inch Hole Punch
• Adobe InDesign
• Adobe Illustrator
• Printing Company that will print for free
• Unsuspecting friends to con into helping you
THIS PROJECT COST AROUND $20 (Sans printing costs)
Step 1: Logo and Color
Step 2: Research Ideas
I also checked out the Postal Regulations for sizing and weight. My work had a template that shows all of the sizes so that was easy.
Step 3: Formulation
Step 4: Creation
When I was creating the map, I remember going to weddings that had multiple churches on one block. I would drive by wondering "Is that the church or is this the right place?". So after I illustrated a map from Google Maps, I took an image of the church and illustrated that. I didn't want it to be cheesy and just have a photo image of the church which would compromise the clean edgy look. I used the green theme and a couple of gradients to make it look sleek. The view of the church is actually the only view of the church from the only road to get there. So hopefully nobody confuses this with another.
Step 5: Measuring and Application
I had to make sure that the final folded piece would fit inside the envelope without too much wiggle room, but had to make the background large enough to fold and look aesthetic. After hours....ok maybe an hour of determining the way I like it best, I came to a conclusion. The conclusion was that I really couldn't figure that out until I designed the whole project. There were factors such as words to be displayed without pulling cards out, sizes of the pockets and the staggering of the cards to fit exactly.
This was the hardest part. I had nothing to go off of which presented a challenge. I love challenges so I started with the cards and figured I could modify from there. I created 4 cards; Reception, Directions, Response and a STD (That's Save the Date sickos). I calculated (guessed) I would need about a .25 inch for each card to display the title in the stagger. I wanted the cards to be big enough to read but small enough to fit inside the pocket and still be able to display the background information. I found a size I liked and adjusted the pocket to fit. I had some issues with closing the invitation such as the angles not covering the entirety of the inside contents, but going this far wasn't going to stop me from fixing it.
Step 6: Cutting
I had to cut all of the angle cuts for the trim of the envelope with the X-ACTO knife. After 400 cuts and safe from the cuts from the machine, I escaped with only cutting half of my finger off with the X-ACTO (Scar to prove, but not shown).