Variations on this recipe can be found on loads of amazing food blogs like Smitten Kitchen, the Busty Baker, and others!
Note: These do contain some booze that isn't cooked off, so please be careful (no heavy machinery, etc.) and keep them away from the youngsters.
Also Note: "Irish Car Bomb" is a pretty horrible thing to call a drink or a cupcake. You could also call them "Car Bombs" but that's not much better really - Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Whiskey Ganache filling and Irish Cream Frosting works, but it's a bit long.
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- Bowls (you'll need at least 3, or you can wash one between each portion of preparation)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Piping bag (you can also use plastic bags for this - you'll need 2)
- Muffin tin
- Cupcake papers
- A melon baller or small spoon
- 1/2 cup Guinness (or other stout)
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 3/8 cup (aka 1/4 and 1/8 cups) cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/8 cup (aka 1/4 and 1/8 cups) cup sour cream
For the Gnache
- 3 1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Jameson whiskey (or other whiskey)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Baileys (or other Irish cream liquor)