I FINALLY finished this project....pics interspersed below:
Step 1: Step 1
and a #10
Taking apart the Hard Drive (HD) was fairly easy. Taking apart the defunct stepper motor required a bit more work.
Caution here: prying, hammering, and sometimes using a punch, is required to disassemble the stepper motor. Please wear eye, and hand protection.
Some of the other tools needed might be:
a small Phillips head screw driver
a small and larger flat head screw driver
needle nosed pliers
a soldering iron (and solder etc)
and in case things don't fit as well as you'd like; a glue gun (with glue, etc)
Caution: soldering irons and glue guns get very hot.
As you take apart the HD, save your screws etc. Some will come in handy later.
Step 2: Step 2 Getting the Parts
Step 3: Step 3: Designing the Way It'd Be Put Together
I used a multimeter to determine which solder pad went to which wire.
Then I built the LED array, soldering the LED's in parallel BUT with each LED having it's own resistor.
After forming the basic circuit, I pushed the LED's into place and hot glued them in.
Then I drilled some small holes and attached a back plate to keep it all together.
Step 4: Step 4 Completion
I also decided to Key, the switch, so I got the old monitor switch off the green screen monitor and wired that into the power supply (in this case, a 9 volt battery).
The fan grill also came in handy as it was perfect for the switch in terms of fit.
I then took the 50 MB case, and attached the switch assembly to it.
I show below, the switch and the LED's being tested for their final times, and then how the finished product looks, when it is ready to be attached to the actual "suit".
All told, this took me more then 3 weeks to do, since I waited for tools to arrive and also had some difficulty with the one motor disassembly.
Still it was a fun project.